New processes for the fermentative production of glycolipid biosurfactants and sialylated carbohydrates.
If biotechnology is to deliver molecules and derived products to the market, these need to meet market demands. Hence a close collaboration with the final end users is essential.
CARBOSURF is working to produce specific biochemicals (glycolipid biosurfactants and specialty carbohydrates) where market interest is already high, rather than trying to create a new market.
Glycolipid biosurfactants offer a vastly improved environmental compatibility compared to traditional surfactants, while specialty carbohydrates have applications in a very broad range of markets.
- Develop innovative fermentation processes to produce glycolipid biosurfactants and specialty carbohydrates.
- Test the market potential of these components in a wide range of application fields, such as neutraceutical, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
- Assess the technical, economic, environmental and social sustainability of these processes over the whole value chain: from biomass (input) to product application (output).
- Higher added values of agricultural and agro-industrial streams that are currently used in low-value applications.
- Increased applications of specialty carbohydrates.
- Contribution to the replacement of 5-10% fossil-based surfactants with biosurfactants.
- Increased flexibility, productivity and environmental performance of the EU biochemical industries.